Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

What I Learned About Sameness

I was so nervous Friday I almost backed out of going on a spiritual retreat. I knew I would do this so I invited a friend to ride with me. I had to go then, she was depending on me.

She wasn’t really a friend yet. She was interesting and likable but I didn’t know her well enough to call her my friend.  
  
I picked her up and we chatted the whole way to the retreat center a half hour -away. By the time we got there, friendship was growing between us. I could see we had many interests in common. 

She was articulate, friendly, accomplished in her field—a high-pressure one at that. She was funny and interesting to talk too. Then she said, “I am so honored that you asked me to ride with you.” 

She went on, "When you asked me I thought, why she would want to ride with somebody like me? She’s so smart, funny, and interesting. Why would she want to be friends with someone like me?”

Which is just what I thought when she said she’d ride with me.  

We were both nervous. We were both thinking the other one was a better person. 

I turned this over a few times in my mind since Friday and I know my new friend and I are  not the only ones who think like this. 

The next time I meet new friends I’m going to remember that they are wondering why I want to be friends with somebody like them. It’s because I am somebody like them, wondering exactly the same thing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment