Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Monday, December 5, 2011

What I Learned From Leslees

There are 113 Leslees on facebook. Okay, so maybe that's not a scientific count, but I'm not the only L-E-S-L-E-E out there! There is at least one Leslee that went to Penn State, one that is a cute little baby, and several that are my age, born in the 1950's.

If you name is something normal like Jennifer, or Kathy or Ashley, you might not understand how amazing it is to find so many Leslees. I only have ever met three other people named Leslee in my life, and nobody that spells my way.

The Leslie that went to my high school was a boy. And back in the day of segregated gym class, my school put me in the boys' gym class every year.  They couldn't even imagine a girl name Leslee!

My mother was livid when I learned to write in first grade, and wrote my name very neatly, but spelled wrong as the school insisited I should spell it. It has always caused me trouble.


I grew up thinking that my name was a little weird and I didn't even know I felt that way until I saw all the beautiful Leslees that weren't afraid to say so.

I would like talk to the other Leslees. There was a Leslee running for office, and several that used their uniquely spelled name to advertise their businesses. There was a Leslee Leslie.

Leslees out there---do you think your name is weird?  Do you like it spelled leslEe or are you a little uncomfortable correcting somebody or spelling it aloud to someone in a doctor's or dentist's office?

Do you wince when your friends spell it wrong? Did you ever go by Les so everybody got it right?

I feel like I just found some long lost family members. There are some Leslees out there after all. Any of you Leslees want to be my friend? You're welcome here because of your lovely name.

And the rest of you, Joyces and Stephs and Julies thanks for indulging your friend Leslee.

No comments:

Post a Comment