Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Saturday, April 14, 2012

What I Learned From Elece


The other day I opened my blog to see that a free lance writer, a friendly woman from Oklahoma followed my blog. Hi, there Elece Hollis. She is the first person to join up that I have never met. 

I was in awe when I realized that here is somebody out there who just stumbled across my blog in that mystical space called the internet.  I’d heard it was possible for someone you didn’t know to follow your blog.

But hearing about it was very different from actually seeing Elece’s name and picture in my blog followers.
Kinda like the difference between talking about riding a bike, going on a roller coaster, getting kissed, and actually doing it. You can tell me about Manning’s ice cream or take me out to the farm and buy me a cone so I can experience it myself.  

This must be what my grandfather felt the first time he turned a switch and a light came on. He used to say that when he was born they had no electricity at home and in his lifetime he’d watched a man walk on the moon.  

This must be what it feels like for a pilot like Zach Benedict or Bill Jaquish, (or any flying Jaquish) to solo for the first time. Or what it feels like to go from the practice room out to the stage. This is what it felt like for me to take the reins and ride Silver, my own horse, for the first time. 

Elece is not an old friend or somebody related to me. I expect them to join my blog, to follow me and comment. I even have blog friends from writer’s conferences. I love keeping in contact with them. I know they support me as I learn to write. 

And I am grateful for all of you. For old friends, for supporters like my family, for new friends like Elece. We live in an amazing world. Where we can befriend people in places we have never even been.  This sis better than pen pals. Wowee. 

So welcome to the family Elece! 

Anybody else out there I’ve never met? Follow me and let’s be friends.

1 comment: