Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What I Learned From A Box Of Baby Clothes.

  What I Learned From A Box of Baby Clothes.
There must be something to this Grammie thing.
Roger is cleaning the attic. He brought down a box. In 1993  I had scrawled on it: “David's baby clothes, made by Pam Brigham." David, born in 1982, was the first grandchild on both sides of the family. My cousin Pam went nuts making cute little outfits for him.  They are still in pretty good shape.  I pulled them out of the box and remembered when he wore them. I remembered how cute and cuddly he was in them. I remembered how proud I was of my little boy in his blue corduroy overalls where Pam had appliquéd his name inside a red apple.
I gave away a lot of baby clothes but these I can’t part with. I think I will use them to decorate at Jen's baby shower that is coming up later this month. I think they will look really cute hanging from a clothesline in the corner or something. 
But if I were a young mom attending that shower I would take a look at the baby clothes as decorations and think, "What a dumb idea. Who thought this up?" 
 The little clothes used to be something to cover David up.  Then somehow the clothes became adorable. And I don’t think it was because they were stored in a box in the attic.
I guess what everybody says about being a Grammie is true. Grandchildren are wonderful. Ayden is three and he sure is wonderful. When he comes to visit I just watch him and can hardly talk to his mother. The same thing happens when I see Townes. But when I see David and Jen’s baby I will remember David when he was little.  And that will leave me speechless. Believe it or not.  And my muscles will hurt from smiling no matter what that baby does. 
I can hardly wait to be called Grammie. I can hardly wait.  

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From a fellow-grandma: There IS something so special about grandchildren. My little Ty calls me "Ma." This is the one name I never wanted my girls to call me, but somehow when that little voice hollers out "Ma? Ma?" and those little toddler feet come running, I find myself smiling from ear to ear! Enjoy every minute, Les!

      Delete
  2. Join our sorority of proud grandmas, Les! Joy after joy in the role.

    ReplyDelete