Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

What I Learned From A Rubber Ducky




Lots of things are perspective, you know? Like we went to see a duck in the water at Point  Park in Pittsburgh. It was a rubber ducky, you know “cute and yellow and fuzzy?” like Ernie sings about? Only this ducky was forty feet tall.  He towered over the point and over all the people gathered there for pictures with him.  He was overwhelming. If I was a little kid he would give me nightmares.   He was too much of a good thing.
Then there is your dog’s perspective.  I remember my dog Goldie. She was perfect, except once in a while she would come home after being out in the field and rolling in deer manure. She got an injured look on her face when we held our noses and exclaimed loudly and washed all her perfume off. Because that’s what she thought all that deer manure was. Lovely perfume. It was a matter of olfactory perspective.
And today? I saw little red flags outlining a triangle concrete barrier in the road.  You know those barriers that funnel the cars in one way and out the other?  Well the little red flags were on wires and they said, SMI on them, “snow removal Inc.” 
Now snow being good news is definitely a matter of perspective. Ask them at Rock and Snow in New Paltz New York and Rich and Andrew will say, “Snow is a good thing.”  They rent and sell outdoor clothes and equipment for all seasons and for all kinds of rock climbers. They think snow is good.
The people who make a living from SMI think snow is a good thing. A matter of perspective.
So the is the fact that I’m the wife of a guy that’s 59 years old and sat and watched the younger set dance at my brother’s wedding this weekend.  I always felt sorry for my mom and her sisters when they just sat and watched us dance at a cousin’s wedding.  Little did I know that they sat and talked about us and everything and enjoyed themselves. Just like I did talking to my cousin Pam and Joyce and my sister. We had as much fun chatting as they had dancing.
It’s a matter of perspective.  But a forty foot rubber ducky is still really, really big.

1 comment:

  1. "Snow is a good thing!" Well, today is a snow day in NEPA . . . which means less focused writing, but more time with a certain sophomore in high school whom I love very much. I think I'll take the snow . . . You're right. It's all a matter of how we see things. Thanks for your perspective!

    ReplyDelete