Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What I Learned At Uncle Jerry’s Funeral


I learned yet again that I have a family to be proud of, a family who loves each member old or young. Hospitality is a condition of the heart, and I was reminded once more where I learned what I know about opening my heart and loving others. 

The following poem was written by Carol Gillespie. She read it on 2/14/12 at the funeral of her father-in-law and my Uncle Jerry Gillespie. It is modeled after Mary Frye’s poem called Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep. 

If you knew Uncle Jerry, you’ll know why Carol picked the images she picked. If you didn’t know him, you’ll still enjoy this lovely poem.  Carol is the blogger this Tuesday. Thanks, Cuz.


Do not stand at my grave and mourn,
I am in the sound of the Atlantic’s low roar.
I am the ocean’s sparkling white light,
I am in our grandchildren’s smiles so bright.
I am the breeze off Nags Head beach,
I am the push to help a child’s earnest reach.
I am in the million grains of sand,
That fall from your waving outstretched hand,
I am the vapor from a chemistry lad,
I am in plastics, and that isn’t so bad.
I am Georgetown’s gray and blue,
I am in Jeannette’s book of Who’s Who.
I am the rain drop that fell on your cheek,
 I am the star wish you thought of last week.
I am the quiet before the movie starts,
 I am the peaceful beating of two loving hearts.
 Do not stand at my grave and cry,
 I am not there, I do not die.

Carol Gillespie 2012
Written upon the passing of Gerald Gillespie- Feb. 9, 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment