Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Monday, April 9, 2012

What I Learned From Harriet Beamer

My favorite movie is It's A Wonderful Life. And I already know it's a sappy movie, in a nice small town that is too ideal to be real. But I like books and movies that proclaim that nice people still exist.

All I have to do is read the paper or listen to the news to see that the world is mostly rotten.

But there are nice people still out there. Like once when we bought a futon at a garage sale and the guy who sold it to us followed us home and helped Roger move it to the upstairs room where we wanted it. 

So when a book or movie proclaims that something wonderful can still happen in literature and might happen in life, that thing must be celebrated.

I must share it with everybody I know. So here goes: YOU GOTTA READ THIS BOOK!!
It comes out April 27 and it's called Harriet Beamer Rides the Bus.

I got my hands on a pre-sale copy, just finished reading it and I have to say that it's one of the best books I've ever read. And I read a lot. Harriet Beamer is one of my heroes like Ponyboy or Lucy and Edmund. I guess my heroes have gotten a little more mature as I age, but Harriet has the same spirit of Lucy of Narnia.

Harriet is a 72- year- old- lady who rides public buses and trains from Philly across the USA before she moves in with her son and his wife in California. Harriet is a wonderful old lady, brave and funny, and delightful. This book is all that plus you end up thinking about stuff without even knowing it.

I want to be Harriet when I grow up. I already have the red high top sneakers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment