Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

What I Learned From Norah Ruby Clapp

What did I learn from Norah Ruby Clapp? ( FYI: She's the cute little one. Anny's the cute big one.   I'm the one with the gray hair and the wrinkles.)

I learned from Norah:

*she is the cutest baby girl ever! (You should see Ayden and Townes, my extra grandsons!)

* it's OK to have gray hair and wrinkles! After all I am Grammie now.

* I haven't forgotten, "This Little Light of Mine," "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam," or other songs my Sunday School teacher taught me.

* I haven't forgotten silly camp songs from 4H.

* Dave and Jen are really good parents. The discipline of a daily schedule IS a good idea. (Although it's foreign to my natural hippie-ness)

* I can still change a diaper, carry a baby like a football, and give good baby back-pats.

* it really is nice when they come

*it is even kinda nice when they go. (Grammie is tired!)

* loving Norah is a given!

AND THE GREATEST THING I LEARNED FROM NORAH?

She doesn't pick who she loves. She just smiles at everybody and expects them to love her back. I know she is a baby and that is her God given reflex to smile at people and be lovable. We are hard wired to love her. Blah, blah, blah, about nature, but the fact is Norah is lovable and made everybody respond. She was quite a hit at the Jaquish family reunion!

She made me think, "What if  I just step out into the world remembering that I am loved by God and my all my family? Wouldn't I be a lot closer to 'do unto others what you want them to do unto you?' Doesn't everybody want to be recognized as a person with value? Doesn't everybody want to have recognized dignity?"

So, if I make eye contact with people in the grocery store or say good morning to a stranger, or offer hospitality to a neighbor or somebody in my church I barely know, I'm just being loving like Norah.

I wonder what she'll teach me when I skype with her next Monday?

4 comments:

  1. Spoken like a true grandparent, smitten by a grandchild. Ain't being a grandparent grand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les, so nice to have you back at your blog! This was lovely, and the look of your new page is super. Thanks, David Clapp, for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the Grandmas can certainly identify with you, Leslee! And I like your lessons on loving . . . good food for thought.

    ReplyDelete