Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Thursday, July 12, 2012

What I Learned When Sammy Died



I’ve enjoyed the company of Penny, Nicki, Christmas, Abby, Vicki, Goldie, Sugar, Gordy, Jesse, and Sammy. Penny was my parents' first “child” a brindle mutt, and Sammy, in case you’ve never been barked in the door at my house, was my 13-year-old Jack Russell terrier. She died June 19.  

She was never a good dog, but always a lovable one. I could blog for a long while on “What I Learned from My Jack Russell,” and maybe I will. But just today, on the way home from the animal shelter I had a revelation about me and dogs.   

I really believed that hospitable people keep dogs. The rest of you—not so hospitable. Like a clap of thunder it dawned on me that I went to the animal shelter, more because I thought I wouldn’t be a nice person if I didn’t own a dog, than because I really wanted another fur-faced companion. 

I tear up still when I see there’s no dog bed in my bedroom. It was too quiet on the 4th.  Every year she protected us from firecrackers by barking at them until they went away.  I miss Sammy.

I felt sorry for the dogs who must live at the animal shelter. I told God I trusted Him to find them homes, but I didn’t feel compelled to invite one to live with me.  

And I am just as nice and hospitable as I was when my little Sammy girl was alive. I can be friendly without a wagging tail by my side. I am the same person.  

But I also miss the idea of owning a dog. How can I show I’m hospitable if I don’t rescue all the company from the dog as they come in the door?   So, if you come to my door and I try to rescue you from Roger or either of the cats just cut me some slack. 

I’m trying something new, and you’ll have to holler when you come in my dog doorbell is silent now.    

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mrs. C. Reading your blog gives me a sense of comfort because it feels like I'm right there with you, and I miss that a lot. I like being able to see what is happening in your life, and it makes me feel I'm still a part of it even though I can't be there every day. It makes me really sad to hear that Sammie died. She died on my birthday, which explains why I was particularly sad that day. I never liked my birthday because it always seemed like there was never anything to celebrate because something bad was always happening. It's kind of a fatalistic approach to birthdays, but I just try to pretend now that it's like any other ol' day to try make sure that nothing bad does happen. But I guess bad things happen all over the world every day, no matter if it's my birthday or not. I'm just sad to hear that my bad day also happened to be yours too. I pray that a new canine friendship forms, or just, perhaps, for you to feel a sense of peace in Sammie's absence until it's the right time to meet a new furry friend. I love you very much. And thank you for my note that you sent to me on my birthday. That certainly made my day brighter.

    ReplyDelete