Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Saturday, August 18, 2012

What I Learned From Being Dave Clapps Mom.

Happy Birthday David.

Thirty years ago today is the day my life changed most and i didn't even know it.

I knew I'd have to change diapers and learn how to nurse somebody, but it never really hit me that a person was coming along until somebody handed me a baby boy. A skinny, crying, red-faced kid that right then, in that second, claimed a permanent place in my heart. 

It really never occurred to me what a responsibility it would be to raise, feed, train, love and let go of another person. I really like the way Dave has turned out. But I would credit God, Roger, Jen, and Dave himself for that, more than my seat-of -the pants mothering.


Some things that I got all hot and bothered were silly. Yes, you could go trick -or treating now. Other times I should have paid more attention.

I still remember when Dave was a week old and my mother and father went back to Clarion. They left me alone with a baby! I sat and looked at David and cried because I didn't know what to do with him.

I did more logical practical research when we bought our car than I ever did when I decided it was time for me and Roger to become parents.

And I've learned an awful lot about myself being his mom. I've learned an awful lot about God, an awful lot about boys, some stuff about drums, and that soccer players like chocolate chip cookies best. (David likes Ranger cookies best.)

Becoming a mom has been great for rooting selfishness out of my life, but I'm still glad nobody explained parenthood to me before it happened. I never would have been brave enoguh to start.

Hope you have a great day, Dave. Thanks for making me, your old mom,  a good person.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment