Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Thursday, October 25, 2012

What I Learned From My Cowboy Boots



What I Learned From My Cowboy Boots

My cowboy boots are too tight. The cowboy who sold them to me in the boot store said they would loosen up after while. I believed him. After all he looked like a cowboy. He spoke with authority. He was young and cute. 

So I believed him. I am glad God looks out for me because I think I would be terminally naïve if it wasn’t for Him. He gave me “horse sense,” after all. 

My cowboy boots are beautiful. I have wanted them since I was 13. Since I got Silver. I had beautiful boots once but they were stolen at the Clarion Co. fair because I left them out instead of putting them in my mother's car. (naïve of me, huh?)

Fifteen years ago when we were in New Mexico I wanted boots, but I had no opportunity to buy them. Then, this year, I got to visit the kids in Lubbock Texas. I thought, “I’m getting the boots.”  The Bank of Roger authorized my purchase.

We took Wonderful Jen and Dave with me to the store. I counted on Jen to tell me why I shouldn’t buy the boots. She is much more sensible than I am and has taught me a lot about buying things. So I trusted her.
But I waited forty years to own boots. 

 Now I faced a decision. Good boots are costly. How much would I wear them? Did I need to spend $XXX on boots or would $XXX do? Finally I found some on sale. Now I own cowboy boots.

I wanted to sleep in them, to put them under my pillow that night. I did take them out of the box and kiss them on the way home.  Jen, in the front seat, thought i gave Roger a kiss to thank him. First things first.

They are too tight. Right now, but I know I could “ride ‘em and rope ‘em” if I only owned a rope and a buckskin Quarter Horse. And if my boots loosen up a little. So I can actually walk.

1 comment: