Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

What I Learned --Grand Canyon 3



What I Learned Traveling to the Grand Canyon 3

I miss my bed. 

I sleep in a bed every night. In what I call a Roger hotel.  He finds them under his price point and they have to have a free breakfast. I want them with a pool. So we pull into a town and crusie around and pick a motel.  

Then comes the crucial test. How does it smell?  I have no idea if smell has anything to do with cleanliness. But in my head it does. We’ve had a couple non-smoking rooms that had a whiff of smoke in them. Like maybe they cleaned the wall paper instead of removing when the room went from smoking to non-smoking.
We had one room that smelled like old ladies. We opened the door and window and turned on the air conditioner to air it out.   

I tell myself that I will only be there one night and I pray for God to protect me (from bedbugs, etc.) and I go to sleep. 

BUT 

I miss my bed. I miss the Leslee-shaped groove I sleep in, and wake in, and walk around in everyday.
New is getting old.  

Then I think, “Wait a minute! You’re driving all over the southwest in a convertible! With one of your favorite people! He doesn’t grumble about the tenth bathroom stop. He’ll make latte stops and he doesn’t even drink coffee!”

Then I get in the convertible and off we go. I think, “The fresh air blows off the old lady smell. The Grand Canyon is coming up. I’ve wanted to do this since I was 13.”  

And the next night when we find a Roger motel, I just grin. There’ll be hot water for a shower and maybe even a nice pool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment