Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Thursday, August 21, 2014

What I Learned Being Old School



 Technology is amazing. I remember what a big deal it was when my dad brought home a color TV. We soon learned how to adjust the color so everybody on the TV didn’t have green skin. 

My parents bought me an electric typewriter for my 21st birthday!

I remember how important I thought I was when Roger bought me an answering machine (remember the ones that played a little song?)   Or when my father-in-law bought us our first computer.

I also remember how dumb became when I got my first cell phone. They’ve been smarter than me ever since.  I need someone thirty years younger to explain anything important to me. I’m a technology dinosaur.   

I ate with my daughter Anny at the Sunrise Café on Tuesday morning.  The Sunrise is my regular stop for oatmeal smothered in fruit. I have different breakfast buddies at least three days a week. They know me at The Sunrise, and greet me by name and with coffee. The waitresses are my friends and I know a lot of patrons by sight.  

The only technology involved in my breakfast is the coffee maker, the stove, and the overhead lights.
Anny and I ate, eggs and a pancake for her, and my regular for me. Morning light poured in the window and lit up her big blue eyes. I watched all her nuances of expression as she talked.
Finally I said, “This is the best way to talk. Face to face.”

She agreed.  And she is really, really good with technology!

I left The Sunrise that morning thinking that maybe I not such a dinosaur. That my breakfasat eating buddies and I were really doing something wonderful, creative and old school. That there really was something precious in face to face conversation. 

Technology is wonderful. I learned to skype  and I watch Norah roll across the living room floor in Lubbock, Texas.  And I already have an important skill. One I mastered years ago.

Come on down to The Sunrise.  I’ll introduce you to my favorite waitress. And I’ll buy the coffee and we can just talk face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment