Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Sunday, July 21, 2013

What I Learned From All My Cousins, Jaquish and Kroh

It used to be I took all my cousins for granted.

John and Mable Jaquish had twenty -six grandchildren:  Barb, Charlie, Mike, Tom, Dick, Stephanie, Nancy, David, Laurie, Leslee, Judy, Jack, Linda, Virginia, Bill, Lou, Becky, Mark, John, Kathy, Robbin, Pam, Chris, Susan, Derrick, Douglas.  Ta-da!

The other side is more simple: Lester ( I was named after him) and Lucy Kroh had:  Jeanie and Janey, Bob, Leslee, Judy, Jack, Bette Jo, Allen, Pam.

Some of them have passed away and some of them have no children, but most of them got married and  had kids, so if you assembled everybody related to me . . . .THAT WOULD BE A LOT OF PEOPLE!!

Then if you brought  together all the people who are my friends? ANOTHER WHOLE LOT OF PEOPLE!!!

And I feel like I spoke to most of them in the last few weeks. Most of my friends and most of my relatives. And the ones I didn't speak to I am sure had a few stories about my mom they thought of one day in the shower or driving to work.

I wanted to say that I love my cousins and I am so grateful that they made an apperance, or called or wrote during this time.  I love my friends too, old and new ones, who hugged me or sent a card or e-mail.

George Bailey in It's A Wonderful Life learns that no man is poor who has friends. And I would say that no Leslee is without comfort who has friends and friendly cousins!

So, Wednesday in the church basement and Thursday in the Mexican restaurant I sat and ate lunch surrounded by family and friends all taking and laughing and celebrating our family and my mother's life.

I thought to myself, "This is what I want to remember about my mother's funeral." The feeling of belonging right where I was, in the middle of all my unique and wonderful cousins and aunts and uncles and friends and family. Thanks everyone, you blessed my socks off.

3 comments:

  1. "The feeling of belonging . . ." I think your mom would be pleased with that feeling of belonging as you celebrated your family and her life! And I, for one, am grateful to be counted as one of your friends. You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les, I hope you know that YOU have that unique way of making other people feel like they belong, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew that you were named after Uncle Lester. Wow! How did I miss that?

    ReplyDelete