Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What I Learned From Too Much Spider Solitaire

 
 I'm trying not to hit the panic button as the Philadelphia Christian Writers Conference draws ever nearer and I have three proposals to get ready. And one of my kids just came home restless and looking for her future, and three of my friends have mothers that are in hospice. And one set of my married kids is coming home for an extended visit, the only time we see them all year. And another good friend confided in me and seems to need a listening ear.  And I still have three proposals to get done in four weeks. YIPES!

IT COULD BE WORSE, you say? You're right. It could. My sweet Roger never complains about all the housework he does while I peck away at the keyboard.

But today as I was wasting time playing Spider Solitaire, which I claim is my warm up to writing brillaintly, it occurrred to me that I never know what will happen next as I turn over a card. The card piles could be days in my life. As I turn over a new one how will it match the other ones already face up?

It also occurred to me that if I have a long string of cards in order, red Jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, etc stacked on each other I am a lot more likely to be able to use the next cards that come up.  It seems like if I prepare a little each day I am a lot more likely to be able to use yesterday, (the last stack of cards) to help me today.

So I think I will not panic if I don't write nine tousands brillant words today. I will just keep plugging away at it and see where I end up the beginning of August when I go to the conference.

An ant can move a rubber tree plant, and you can eat an elephant by taking one bite at a time. Don't you think so? Oh, and a little less Spider Solitaire is a good idea too.

No comments:

Post a Comment