Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Saturday, January 7, 2012

What I Learned About Re-Gifting


 I have a rant about re-gifting. 

Your Aunt Tillie gave you an ugly lamp for Christmas.  Sometime during the year you might think of a tactful way to say, “How about a gift card next year?” 

If you think great Aunt Tillie’s lamp would fit right in with my décor, don’t even hesitate, just bring it on by. Don’t apologize that your great Aunt Tillie gave it to you. Mention it if you want too, but don’t act ashamed of the fact that you are giving an ugly lamp a new home. I love unique lamps. I’m thrilled you thought of me to be the custodian of great Aunt Tillie’s purchase. 

She went to time and trouble to find the thing for you. She missed by a mile thinking you’d like it, but out of respect for her you could deposit it with someone who will get some use out of it. If I get a   modern lamp for Christmas I’ll bring it over to your house.  
It’s also true that people who love you know you work hard to find something they like. They appreciate the thought. But if they don’t like the thing they should pass it on. It’s a crime to let something you don’t like languish.  

If you don’t know anybody that wants great Aunt Tillie’s lamp, there’s always the Salvation Army. Then at least they can use the cash when someone buys the lamp to fund their program for people who need help.

So tomorrow morning if I find six or eight ugly lamps on my porch I’ll know you read this blog and my house is going to be well lit.  And I won’t have to go to the Salvation Army to find my next unique purchase.

1 comment:

  1. My feelings exactly. I regifted something at Christmas and the person loved it! I'm so glad that it found a good home. (I didn't tell them that it was regifted so mums the word)

    ReplyDelete