Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Thursday, March 15, 2012

What I Learned From A Nun With A Coffee Pot



I want to be like Sister Regina when I grow up. She is a Passionist Nun that served us retreat-goers recently. She and the other Sister’s made sure we had clean sheets, a lovely quiet place to meet and think. They gave us food and coffee. 

If you know me you know I always have a travel cup in hand. It’s decaf coffee. (But I never say so. That would be bad for my image.) So when the Sisters asked if we wanted coffee I of course said yes, decaf please. 

I never pay attention to how coffee is made out in public, but the Sisters had to bring the hot water to the big coffee machine and pour it in. Then it dripped through and presto! there was decaf coffee! Which lubricates my brain. 

So I was waiting for the coffee when the swinging kitchen doors were bumped open and here comes Sister Regina with the hot water to dump into the top of the machine. 

She’s elderly enough to use one of those walker’s with a seat on it. So she is pushing the walker and the hot water pot is perched on the seat as she pushes it along toward the big pot at the other end of the dining room.  
She is making coffee for me! For me an able-bodied 56 year old woman who could have made the coffee for myself!  I knew I couldn’t offer to help her. She was determined to help me. To do her job. So I stood in awe as she shuffled along to the coffee pot. I remembered to thank her and drank my java gratefully. 

I want to be as persistent when I grow up. I want to find a way to keep doing what I am called to do. I want to be as determined and useful as Sister Regina. And smile about it all just like she did.  

1 comment:

  1. So nice to hear someone else (who's not twelve years old) talking about "when I grow up"! :D
    Keep thinking. Keep writing.
    (Sue Anderson)

    ReplyDelete