Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Saturday, March 31, 2012

What I Learned From Spring

 

 Let me be forsythia

 by Leslee Clapp


Let me be forsythia
around an old foundation the land has forgotten---
white clapboard house, red barn, kitchen garden
Rhode Island Reds, Holsteins, Clydesdales and China hogs.

Yet forsythia
planted in 1910 by starry-eyed newly weds
beside their new house on a just-born dairy farm
still riots into gold every year.

Let me be that bane of gardeners
called Snow-On-The-Mountain,
variegated or jade green that burrower
who tunnels under rich soil or poor
to thrust from the ground at every bare spot
walk way or driveway, sun or shade
any fallow speck,
planted by those young dreamers when the last century was new.

As Snow-On-The-Mountain
I can’t be eradicated by Captan or
Imidan or any other form of DDT
or something more socially acceptable
because I divide to conquer
and ride the weeding hoe on to the vegetable patch.

Let me be bee balm
 or lemon balm
or mint.

Pacasandra,
creeping myrtle,
vinca,
morning glory,
I will thrive in the dust
of those who planted
never caring who sees my, red or white
or purple or yellow blooms.                                                               

3 comments:

  1. I love this poem,Leslie. It is fun to me to find and old housesite that has been abandoned and nothing there still but an old cellar and maybe remnants of a barn and daffodils all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this Leslie! Beautiful imagery and sweet memories evoked.

    ReplyDelete