Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Thursday, September 6, 2012

What I Learned From Jeanne Valentiner


I learned a lot from Clara Louise Jeanne Valentiner.  I could blog for a lot of lessons. But here is one that I think is remarkable.

Ten years ago was almost a year after 9-11 and I was asked to read my 9-11 poem at WVIA, the radio station.

Too nervous to drive I asked my friend  Jeanne to drive me. She went to the station through Wilkes-Barre and my directions were thorugh Scranton so we got lost and arrived a half hour late.

I wanted to say something harsh to her, but a really loud calm voice in my head said,  "Which is more important? Your friendship or your stupid poem?" I was still upset we were late but I kept my mouth shut.

At the radio station we found out they were running a half hour late that day. So we were really right on time. I read my poem, while Jeanne kept the front office laughing at her charming stories.We went to lunch and laughed and had the best time ever. 

Early the next day I left for vacation.  When I called home Sept. 7, 2002, I found out that Jeanne had died Sept. 6.  If I had strained our relationship by yelling at her it would have stayed that way. I never had time to fix it. And I never needed too because for once in my life I kept my mouth shut.

I still miss my good friend Jeanne. I wanted to call her and tell her all about the wedding, Sammy dying, my latest literary rejection. I know I will see her someday, and it seems like a short time ago, when I read my stupid poem on the air.


No comments:

Post a Comment