Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

What I Learned From A Chocolate Chip Cookie.




I made something like 5,000 cookies for David’s soccer team. Cookies  for every away game for all four years. I was so proud of him when he played high school soccer. I wanted to contribute something.  
  
So I did what I do best. I baked cookies.  I learned that soccer boys like chocolate chip cookies best, then peanut butter, then oatmeal.  Roger did the math and we quadrupled the recipes. It takes 9 eggs and 11 cups of flour for a quadruple batch of chocolate chip cookies. I beamed when they thanked me every year at the soccer banquet.  

I reigned as the best cookie baker on the planet. But today, I passed the honors on to Anny. See, Anny wants to be a baker.  She’s making  good cookies. Today she asked me a cookie question. I debated for a nanosecond then I shared my cookie baking secrets with her. 

She listened and nodded as the old Cookie Queen advised the young one.  I turned back to the computer and felt pretty good about stepping down as Cookie Queen.  

Anny’s cookies will only get better as she builds her own secrets on top of mine.  Plus I don’t have to do the work and I get to snatch a cookie or two.  

Anny is a chip (tee hee) off the old block. And that feels even better than getting mentioned at the soccer banquet. 

Come on over before she gets home. There are a lot of oatmeal cookies cooling on the dining room table.  She won’t notice if a few are missing and I’ll pour you a glass of milk.

3 comments:

  1. A sweet story! And I bet David and his soccer buddies have some good memories, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd read this before I went to the Summit today. I would have stopped for oatmeals to sustain me. Thanks for the invite.

    ReplyDelete