Enjoing a comptemplative life

Enjoing a comptemplative life
Enoying a comtemplative life

Saturday, August 10, 2013

What I Learned From Yolanda Powell

  


I just talked to a group of ladies about something my cousin Sue Gillespie labeled RADICAL HOSPITALITY.  You see, I attended this great class at the Greater Philadelphia Christian Writer's Conference last week. Yolanda Powell explained some basics of public speaking.

She is one amazing teacher, sensitive to her class and to God. She helped us pull topics out of our hearts, our passion. Anybody who ever stands up in front of a group should listen to what she has to say.  (Find her at www.yolandapowell.com.)

So, in class we had to tell the group what we could offer them as if we were introducing a longer speech.  I introduced myself and said, "I practice radical hospitality."

I picked that topic because it’s easy and I had to say something, but the women leaned forward listening.
I said, "I can teach you how to be relaxed when you have people over or dinner."
They nodded. I could feel them listening.  
But that was all I had. Because it was only an introduction.
But here is what I would/ will develop:

Keep the Important important.  You are having company to get to know them. Don't let silly things like dishes and tablecloths and even food interfere with getting to know the other person. 
·         Keep it simple. 
·         Practice a couple meals until you can cook them in your sleep. 
·         Get the table set the day before. 
·         Enlist your husband's help. (Roger is good at refilling drinks, and serving bowls)
·         Forget about your house after they walk in the door. (At my house a young woman just starting out cleans for me. Makes it easy and I am helping her get on her feet.)  
·         If they say what can I bring? You say salad. Looks great on the table and they can have the fuss not you.  You can serve salad then dinner—more elegant
It is precious to get to know somebody else. You are loving them. And they are loving you back. Come on over for dinner. And bring the salad.




2 comments: